Monday 10 September 2007

he was such a sweet uncle

I was requested by my dad and aunt to represent the family to share some memories of my uncle, so I prepared the following "eulogy" in memory of my uncle, and presented it last wednesday evening at the wake service.

He was such a sweet uncle with a warm personality.

When we met him during special family occasions and celebrations, he was always smiling, always encouraging, always praising the Lord, with a ready hug, and full of anecdotes from his childhood, his experiences at work and with people, and testimonies about God’s goodness and power. He was fond of reading, and at one time in his life, spent much time at the library researching subjects and topics he was interested in.

When we visited him in the hospital in the last few years of his life, he was still always smiling, sharing the gospel, and testifying to the goodness of God in his life. Even in the hospital ward, he was bringing people to the Lord. I heard that he even shared his testimony with the doctors and nurses. He loved singing and praising, praying and sharing.

Today, Uncle J is no longer here with us. The bible says that to be absent in the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor 5:8).

So I think of Uncle J in heaven where he is enjoying the glorious presence of God and having a joyous and wonderful reunion with all those who have gone on before us. He is surely singing and dancing in joy. He is free from physical suffering, pain, tears. He is part of the cloud of witnesses who encourage us to run our race here on earth with perseverance. This fills me with joy and peace that passes all understanding to know that he is with our Lord, and we will meet again.

One of his favourite songs (i discovered he had many favourite songs) was “Blessed Assurance”. I remember fondly that when we sang songs of praise to encourage him, especially this one in the last few months of his life as his strength was gradually decreasing, he sometimes lifted up his hands and even his voice, to sing phrases of the chorus with us.

I’d like to sing it now to praise Our Lord who has made it possible for us to meet him again one day. And even as we miss him dearly, we sorrow with hope…

Blessed assurance Jesus is mine
O what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation purchased of God
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood

This is my story This is my song
Praising my Saviour all the day long (repeat)

Perfect Submission perfect delight
Visions of rapture burst on my sight
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy whispers of love

This is his story This is his song
Praising his Saviour all the day long (repeat)

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker