Thursday 3 April 2008

the cousin i never knew

my cousin, the elder daughter of my uncle who went to heaven last september, went to join her father early Tuesday morning.

I never knew her because of her condition - she was severely physically and mentally handicapped, and was bed ridden almost all of her life. It was a result of brain damage sustained during a high fever when she was a toddler.

Her 'ah gu' (uncle) gave a touching eulogy which revealed her character and spirit. It made me wish all the more i knew her better. He talked about her gentle and quiet spirit, which drew people to her. Even the doctors and nurses who looked after her at the hospital were drawn to her, and in a short period of a couple of weeks had a connection with her. Some of them shed tears at her passing on.

She may not have understood many things, but she was aware,and was responsive to love and touch. She knew what it meant to be prayed for. I believe she missed her father.

Her family, including her grandparents, took very good care of her. Mum remembers that uncle J once told her that cousin's life expectancy would be only 18 years according to the doctors. She lived till 34. That in itself is a miracle.

I will take time to know her in heaven, and because she will no longer have any physical or mental constraints, we will be able to communicate and interact.

I believe she is enjoying her new found liberty which includes unlimited mobility, eternal joy and expressive communication with her Lord and loved ones.

It is not an easy time for her mum and sister who remain behind, especially since it's the 2nd death in the family in just 6 months. My aunt is a strong woman. Her faith in God will not be easily shaken. She still has her younger daughter, and an extended family who loves and supports them in many ways. i heard her cry out last night: God, help me. I know you will.

God is our help in time of need.

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker