Monday 16 February 2009

Valentine's Day

Last week, I got the above ticker (at the top of the page) indicating how many years we've been married in a burst of romantic fervour, brought on by the onslaught of Valentine's Day advertisements. I'm a romantic at heart, really. (grin)


My husband and i went for a lovely and quiet (well, you may call it romantic; for us, it was just enjoyable :D) pre-Valentine's Day dinner. This is to avoid the pricey, costly dinners and the crowds. So for the past few years, we either celebrate at home or we go out for dinner a few days earlier. Recently, we preferred not exchanging gifts. This is to avoid cracking our heads thinking what to buy for each other, and then filling our home, and its nooks and corners with more knick-knacks.

After all, my birthday was/is in November, our wedding anniversary and Christmas in December, followed by Chinese New Year, and then hubby's birthday in March. Too many gifts and dinners over too many years... the memories all meld into one big blur...hehe...

This subtle change in my attitude over the past few years has made me more content. And instead of looking out for what i can GET, i begin to look for ways to bless others.

My girlfriends (long-time friends from sunday school days) also shared different ways they celebrate or not celebrate Valentine's Day, wedding anniversaries or birthdays, making me realise that every couple is different. And if we use a single yardstick to measure, our spouses might come up short, and then we might remain dissatisfied, but you see, a choice had been made. I prefer that we learn to appreciate the strengths of our loved ones instead of focusing on their weaknesses.


1 Corinthians 13:7 (Amplified Bible)
"Love ... is ever ready to believe the best of every person"

Still, there are many things to be thankful for on special occasions like this. And lessons to learn too.

I'm thankful for my God who demonstrated the greatest love of all, and from whom i can learn so much.

John 15:13 (NIV)
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

i'm thankful for my husband, my family, and my friends who love me, and whom i love.

i am learning to not to allow any person - what they do or say or think - affect my day or my mood.

i am learning to focus on the strengths of others.

i am learning to love...

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker