Sunday 19 July 2009

eternity in a cab

i woke up early on Friday, but still ended up taking a cab to teach.

It was mainly due to the fact i changed my outfit, which needed ironing. I decided to take a cab because it was too late to take the mrt and bus, so i slowed my pace down, decided to wear my highest heels, and packed an extra pair of shoes in case my feet started hurting.

I turned the lock, then reached into my bag to check that i had my keys. That took me a few seconds. When i turned back again to the door, i forgot that i was supposed to unlatch the chain, and just yanked the door open. The whole latch came off the door and hung by the hook. I gave a yelp. Oh no! i had to confess to hubby who was still sleeping. Deciding to sms him first, and then speak to him after the lesson, i went out.

In the lift, i took a deep breath, smsed an apology to hubby about the latch (he has to get it replaced, you see) and decided to focus on the Lord. This is still a good day. I began to pray and praise Him. I got a cab easily within a couple of minutes as usual (mainly due to the location of my home, and of course the blessing of the Lord). When i got in, i gave instructions to the cab driver regarding destination and which way to go. He kindly suggested another route. I agreed.

As we reached the expressway, he began to hum and sing along with the Mandarin 'oldies' that was playing. I was distracted by the music, but at the same time, impressed he could remember all the lyrics and began to compliment him on his singing, together with the fact that he was so relaxed driving in the morning traffic. I had begun the trip wanting just to relax and pray in the cab, but sensed the Holy Spirit leading otherwise. We began to chat in Mandarin, and in my heart, i was praying for an opportunity to speak to him about Jesus.

As we left the expressway, i saw Trinity Christian Church and pointed it out as a landmark i recognised. He asked me whether i attended the church. I said that i had friends who did. He then deduced i was a Christian and began to quote John 3:16, first in Mandarin, then in English. I became really excited, and wanted to know where he had learnt it from. But i had to wait till he finished quoting the verse in both languages, complete with reference!! :D

From an exercise book, he said, and went on to explain that he had a friend who was a teochew pastor. I asked him why he did not believe. His opinion was that all religions are the same. Not really, i ventured, pointing out the difference in a believer's relationship with the Lord, our heavenly Father. He insisted that every religion teaches people to do good. But as Christians, i explained, it becomes possible to do good because of what Jesus did. He says he knows about all this, but had been put off by those who put down or spoke bad about other religions. I tried to defend these people by emphasizing their passion and thus they offended unintentionally, but he disagreed.

We were near my destination. He shared that he used to attend church and he likes the older hymns. He sang his favourite one in Mandarin, and i recognised the tune - What A Friend We Have In Jesus!

Wow...i was very touched. I wished for him to know God's love, and encouraged him to go to church and find out more, saying that God loves him. I would have said more, but i needed to alight.

Next time, i will take time to ask for prayer needs, and to pray for them there and then. It was a moment for eternity, and i needed to learn to take hold and make the most of it. This is what the Holy Spirit showed me to do.

I shared this brief encounter with my class. I believed that it was in God's plan for me to meet the cab driver. At the end of my lesson, we prayed for him and for others we knew personally who needed the Lord - that their eyes will be enlightened, and labourers would be sent along their path.

I believe with all my heart the cab driver and his family will know Jesus.

I believe that as i put distracting, temporal moments aside, which divert me from the purpose that God has for me, then only can i fully focus on moments with eternal impact.

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker