Friday 8 February 2008

kong kong in john sung's The Journal Once Lost

Rev Kao Jie En, (aka kong kong), in his recollections as published in the Singapore Overseas Christian Movement COCM 50th Anniversary Special, said:

"In september 1934, I was at the service conducted by Dr Sung, held at Tian An Church, Cang Qian Hill, Fuzhou. While Dr Sung was preaching, a lame man called Dr Sung a 'strawbag' and grilled him with many questions. Sung's offer to reply in writing was turned down. The man had been luanching attacks in the newspapers and kicking up a ruckus at these services day after day. He even resorted to hiring a gang of hooligans to beat up Dr sung. The lame man's mother turned to the Lord after hearing the sermon on that day.

"Dr Sung was walking back to his office opposite the church after the service, when someone hurried over and told he lame man's mother what her son was up to. The old lady hurried to the church and saw her son leaning against the wall with a bunch of thugs. She started to rebuke him sternly, 'I will die together with you if you dare to cause trouble!' she tried to push her son down the flight of stairs outside the church wall but was stopped by the crowd. His mother continued: 'You good-for-nothing! Who are you to attack this Servant of God? I shall hold you responsible in future should anything happen to Dur Sung during his work in Fuzhou!' The lame man made a hasty retreat and, being a rather filial son, dared not go against his mother's orders. So Dr Sung was able to carry out his work in peace for the remaining time. Praise the Lord, indeed!"


On 1 Dec 1936, during a farewell meeting, the evangelistic band leaders were invited to the stage. They were urged to cooperate with the church leaders and to understand one another in true love. I (John Sung) urged Kao Ji En to preach the Word and not covet the world. (p.364)


Rev Kao Ji En recalled the revival meetings in Sitiawan where an average of 600 people attended the services every day, and spirits went high. The following testimony was published in the Singapore Christian Evangelistic Band 60th Anniversary Publication:

"I loved the bottle in my younger days, and suffered from nasal problems as a result. My nose became as ruddy as a peach and bled very often. Repeated visits to the doctors brought me little respite. In 1937, Dr Sung came to conduct meetings in Sitiawan, and i was his interpreter for the event. At first, i requested Dr Sung to heal my nose ailment, but i was not too happy as i was rebuked by him. He asked me to go on my knees and confess my sins. i stole a glance to see how he used olive oil to lay his hand on and to pray for the patients. he did the same for me,but my condition saw no improvement. Instead of rebuking my own lack of faith, I blamed Dr Sung for i had perceived his ministry to be acts of trickery. In 1938, Dr Sung came to preach in Sitiawan for the second time, and asked me to be his interpreter. I turned him down flatly saying that i 'did not want ot work with a madman'. It was only after counselling from my sister Gui Sing, Leona Wu and Rev Fang Ce that i agreed to the task.

"On the first night, Dr Sung knew from the condition of my nose that i did not have much faith. He quoted from the Israelites' lack of faith in the wilderness, leading to many deaths, and pointed that that was a wake-up call to the congregation. He went on to say, 'Now, there are still some people who are trying to test the Lord. Our Heavenly Father is still giving them opportunities to repent.'

"i was asked to play the part of The Great Sinner that night. I was only 24 years old then. Dr Sung took a table belonging to the kindergarten and placed it on my back, saying, 'Look at this pitiful sinner!' He then led the congregation to sing, The Burden of Sin is No More! as he gave a hard push to the table on my back. The table crashed to the floor and he lifted my hand, shouting, 'Praise the Lord! The burden of sin is no more!'

"From that night onwards, i hated myself for vacillating in my faith, or lacking faith, and confessed to the Lord. One week later, Dr Sung laid his hand on the patients as he prayed for them towards the close of the service. This time round, i fasted, prayed and wept for my sins. I handed over my letter of sin to Dr Sung and requested for his intercession. I admitted my poor faith and begged for his help. Dr Sung instructed me to go down on my knees. I did not dare to take a peek this time, but confessed and prayed the best i could. After he laid his hand on me and prayed, lo and behold, my nose no longer bled. Forty eight years have gone by, and it is now 1985 and there has been no relapse since. Praise the Lord!


Excerpted and adapted from "The Journal Once Lost" - Extracts from the Diary of John Sung Compiled by Levi

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker