Wednesday 21 November 2007

remembering my paternal grandparents

My paternal grandfather often told me that trusting in God was really simple, just like sitting on a chair. I was to learn later that in the greek, trust meant to "lean on". He encouraged me with this analogy when i was having my exams, which was a couple of years before he went home. I remember he called me and talked to me a couple of times during that crucial exam period. He was so happy i did well in that exam, and was able to enter university. It was sad that he died just a couple of days before registration day.

When he knew that i considering becoming a teacher, he told me anecdotes of how he taught for a short period of time when he was younger, and how he managed a really difficult and stubborn student. He found out accidentally that the student was afraid of snakes, which were common in the village where he was from. The student had screamed when he came across some rope in the dark, thinking that was a snake, My grandfather used this knowledge to his advantage. From then on, this student obeyed his instructions. He used to laugh at this amusing memory even as he told it. I really appreciated it as it was his way of connecting to me.

When he knew that i was considering serving the Lord in a full-time capacity, he advised me not to become a pastor, but perhaps a pastor's wife as it would be easier for a woman to serve in a supportive role. Probably this was his wisdom. I didn't set out to find a full-time minister to marry, but i did pray about being able to serve together with the man i married. Praise God that i'm currently working together with my husband in a bible school.

I was one of the only grandchild who could speak both mandarin and hock chew (our dialect) with him. But i don't think i was his favourite... he pretty much loved every one the same, i believe.

He went home to the Lord when i was 19. He was 77 when he died of cancer. He heard angels singing before he died. My family was at his home. He just breathed slower and slower till he stopped breathing. Peacefully, he slipped into eternity.

I loved him very much.

My grandmother followed six months later. I was in school when she went to her eternal home. She was a very loving wife and mother - a model pastor's wife who supported her husband in every way. She taught herself to read using the bible, and kept careful records of household expenses.

She was a good cook. We loved her soups, her sweet and sour pomfret, and stir-fried beef with ginger. She made great poh piah vegetables. She was very particular with soups - must be served piping hot. I would always wait for mine to cool. And she would have every garnish available: fried onions - done just right; chives and "heong swee" (a kind of chinese parsley). These made the soup even more tasty... yummy!! Her fried bee hoon was so delicious. She used the thinnest vermicelli and the texture would be just right.

I loved her sense of humour. We used to laugh together in the kitchen. She used to say: a woman's work is never done; she works from the time the cock crows till the time the ghost calls. No, she was not supersititous; she was a woman of faith. It was just a phrase that came to her, and made both of us laugh. She also used to say that i was pretty, like my aunt. And then i would respond: no, i'm pretty like my grandma. And we would laugh...again.

I remember that she told me that God's ways were the best - we don't have to fear or worry, but just submit to His ways.

It's been almost 20 years, but I still miss them. I'll see them in heaven one day, and we'll exchange stories and jokes again!!

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker