Friday 30 November 2007

my christian heritage - part 4: infant baptism and confirmation

I was baptised as an infant ( i think i was about 5 weeks old) by my grandfather who was pastoring at Bukit Panjang Methodist at that time.

In true Methodist tradition, i did not partake of Holy Communion all through my childhood and teenhood till i was confirmed at 18 years of age. This was part of my upbringing and i didn't question it, though i did see that there were others who just came to church and they started participating in the Holy Communion, whilst i had to wait patiently.

i mostly enjoyed going to church, and i hardly missed any sundays. There was something about church that appealed to me, even though i spent most of my childhood attending Hokkien service.

I remember being assured of my salvation accepting Christ at 12. That was when i stopped praying the salvation prayer to confess Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I don't really remember when i was born again. I probably prayed the prayer earlier on in my childhood while attending Sunday School.

Sunday School was fun! I loved the songs about Jesus, and i especially loved one song about how we could talk to God anywhere

Did you ever talk to God above?
Tell Him that you need a friend to love.
Pray in Jesus' name believing that God answers prayer.
Have you told Him all your cares and woes?
Every tiny little fear He knows.
You can know He'll always answer prayer!

You can whisper in a crowd to Him.
You can cry when you're alone to Him.
You don't have to pray out loud to Him.
He knows your thoughts.
On a lofty montain peak, He's there.
In a meadow by a stream, He's there.
Anywhere on earth you go, He's been there from the start.
Find the answer in His Word; It's true.
You'll be strong because He walks with you.
By His faithfulness He'll change you too.
My God answers prayer.

I can still picture the little classroom we met for Junior Sunday School. This old, dim classroom was in a single-storey, 2 classroom building, and i met my life-long girlfriends there. 4 of us still meet occasionally for a meal to chat. One of my sunday school teachers is still in church serving in the Mandarin congregation.

When i was in secondary one, i joined the Senior Sunday School with this group of friends, and made more friends. It was here i learnt that God is real, real in my soul, and He was interested in me as a person, and He had a plan for my life.

There are some things I may not know
There are some places I can't go
But I am sure Of this one thing
That God is real
For I can feel Him deep in my soul

My God is real real in my soul
Yes God is Real
For he has washed And made me whole
His love for me Is just like pure gold
Yes God is real
For I can feel Him in my soul

Another lesson i learnt was the priorities in my life. Master, Mission, Mate - in that order.

I began to hunger for more of God at 16. I believe i started writing journals then, as i had no boyfriend to talk to. That was old-fashioned blogging. Only those who got their hands on my journal could read what i wrote. My journals were usually addressed to God. One of the things i began to see myself doing was to sing all over the world. God was already putting things in my heart, setting in motion His plans and purposes for me.

The year i was to turn 18, this desire for God grew stronger.

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker