Wednesday 21 November 2007

my christian heritage - part 2: maternal

My maternal grandfather served in the church for a period of time. He was blessed with long life, just like my great-grandmother. He was always lean and trim, and was in his mid nineties when he went Home. My great-grandmother was 101 when she went Home. When Ah Kong reached his mid- to late-eighties, he often desired to go to heaven, as his wife, most of his siblings and friends were already there. He would often plead with the Lord to take him Home, though my mum and her siblings would often persuade him to stay a while longer since he was still healthy.

He would often be reading the Chinese large-print bible with his magnifying glass, and sometimes when you walked past his room, you could hear him praying.

He was very alert, and even up to his nineties, he would amuse us with his witty remarks, and stories.

My maternal grandmother went to her eternal Home when i was barely 6. I think my mum was in her late 20s at that time. I remember her from photographs, and vaguely from my childhood days. She was a wise woman who taught her children well.

According to my mum, grandma knew that she was going Home, as she announced to her family a few days before it happened. She was ill for a while and hospitalised. But they all thought she was referring to being discharged. Mum also said there was such peace and serenity.

My mum and her siblings grew up knowing the Lord, and were greatly influenced by a lady whom they called "bible woman", who taught them in sunday school. She taught them to love the Lord and the word of God.

One of Mum's nieces is a pastoral staff.

Mum's youngest sister and brother-in law were short-term missionaries for a few years, and are preparing to serve Him again in a few years' time.

Both my eldest aunt and my mum attended bible school, so did my dad (but i haven't come to that yet). They are all actively serving in church in the areas of prayer, teaching of the Word, and in the healing/deliverance ministries, evangelism, short term missions, choir, counselling and leading cell groups.

No comments:

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker